3.22.2007

Papelbon back to closing

The talk of the baseball world today is that Jonathan Papelbon will go back to closing. Really, this can't be a very surprising move. Though it's not as good (in my opinion) as the strategy I suggested last November, it probably is better for the team than starting him, as long as he can remain healthy. The rotation looks strong without him as soon as Jon Lester is ready, and should be able to withstand the loss of either Schilling or Wakefield next year if Clay Buchholz makes continued progress towards the majors. Until Lester comes back I think Julian Tavarez can handle the 5th slot in the rotation, and with off days and rainouts he may not even be needed very often, though they will probably go with a strict 5-man unless they really lack confidence in their 5th starter.

Papelbon immediately solidifies the bullpen, again, as long as he is healthy. Okajima looks solid and I have confidence that Donnelly will be a good set-up man. If Manny DelCarmen matches his ERA with his stuff and K-rate, the bullpen is 4 men deep even with Tavarez as the 5th starter. Then anything we get from the other folks in the pen is, as they say, gravy.

In other news, I turn 23 today. So I'm celebrating tonight and plan on writing a season preview over the weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home